IEEE Computer Society Team
Computer Society members and leaders from all over the world have watched with sadness and outrage at the destruction and loss of life in Ukraine. We recognize the impact this has had on our colleagues from Ukraine and we want to help. As an international technical community, we strive for international cooperation and the free flow of ideas without regard to national borders – a goal that can only truly be achieved in a world where nations peacefully coexist. As we support scientists and engineers throughout our global community, we also hope to lend support to members of our professional community who have been displaced by violence. To that end, the Computer Society has started a list of aid groups (below) to connect our members with opportunities to help. I ask that you consider what positive steps the Computer Society and its members can take to help those who may be displaced and/or who are in need. Our goal is to grow this list and welcome your suggestions at.
This list will be updated as new information is available and as we collect additional opportunities from our community members:
- Global Giving – All donations to the Ukraine Crisis Relief Fund will support humanitarian assistance in impacted communities in Ukraine and surrounding regions where Ukrainian refugees have fled. GlobalGiving’s local partners are bringing relief to terrified and displaced communities, and they need resources to continue their life-saving work.
- International Committee of the Red Cross – Provides emergency support such as food, water, and other essential items as well as assistance to hospitals and primary healthcare facilities with medical equipment and emergency preparedness.
- Save the Children – Is providing psychosocial support, distributing winter kits and hygiene kits and providing cash grants to families so they can meet basic needs such as food, rent, medicines, and other important support.
- UN Refugee Agency – The UNHCR contributes to emergency relief efforts and helps provide humanitarian assistance to those in crisis. The UNHCR is currently taking donations to send aid to families in Ukraine.
- Caritas – Caritas is a Polish charity organization currently accepting donations for the “Help For Ukraine” fundraiser to supply urgent hygiene and basic material assistance along with financial assistance to people in need due to the invasion.
- United Nations Children’s Fund – The UNICEF, a humanitarian agency of the UN, is accepting donations to deliver lifesaving programs for affected children and families. Aid includes prepositioning health, hygiene and emergency education supplies, trucking safe water to conflict-affected areas, supporting mobile child protection teams and other emergency interventions.
- Voices of Children – Voices of Children, a Ukrainian charity organization, provides psychological and psychosocial support to children facing the consequences of armed conflict.
- World Central Kitchen – World Central Kitchen is an incredible organization that had operations established in Poland within just a few days to provide hot meals to refugees. They’ve since expanded into many cities in Ukraine to feed those displaced from their homes.
- European Association of Service Providers for Persons with Disabilities – European Association of Service Providers for Persons with Disabilities is helping lead efforts to provide humanitarian support to people with intellectual, developmental and physical disabilities in Ukraine. Often these people and their families are trapped with no way to leave due to the family member’s disability. Many of the disabled are also in institutions with no means of escaping the war.